Revised Lancashire County Pension Fund Communications Policy
Decision Maker: Lancashire Local Pension Board
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Presentation of final draft communications
policy which the Fund is required to produce under the terms of the
Local Government Pension Scheme Regulations.
Mr Wallbank presented a report on the draft Communication Policy which had been amended since it was presented to the previous meeting by the incorporation of the programme which set the format, frequency and method of distribution of information to Fund stakeholders.
In considering the report the Board made the following comments.
· Consideration should be given to the inclusion of additional hyperlinks where possible to direct readers to specific documents/information referred to in the Policy.
· Under the heading 'Communications to Scheme Members' reference to 'monthly pay advice' should be deleted as it is already covered by 'pensioners pay advice'.
· The text under 'Communication Programme' should be subject to a final review to address any potential inconsistencies regarding the most appropriate method of communication to be used.
· Whilst recognising that the preference is for people to access information online consideration should be given to including a statement to inform readers how to request hard copies in those cases where they do not have access to the internet.
· That the Policy should include reference to the timescale for when it will be reviewed.
It was noted that a final version of the Policy would be presented to the Pension Fund Committee in November 2019.
1. That the comments of the Board, as set out above, be taken into account when finalising the draft Communications Policy for the Lancashire County Pension Fund before it is submitted to the Pension Fund Committee on the 29th November 2019 for approval.
2. That, as the Board recognise a proportion of the scheme membership may have difficulty accessing information online, the Local Pensions Partnership be asked to provide details of the number of requests for information to be sent through the post.
Report author: Colin Smith
Date of decision: 15/10/2019
Decided at meeting: 15/10/2019 - Lancashire Local Pension Board