Decision details

Children in Care and Care Leavers Monthly Performance Report

Decision Maker: Corporate Parenting Board

Decision status: For Determination

Is Key decision?: No

Purpose:

Monthly Performance Report for - Monthly data for October 2020 with a subset of indicators for children looked after and Care Leavers

Decisions:

Umer Khonat, Business Intelligence Analyst, Business Intelligence Team, Lancashire County Council provided an overview of performance information for October 2020 that is produced in relation to Children in Care and Care Leavers that the Board received with the agenda papers.

 

It was noted that the looked after rate had been stable in the last quarter and similar to the rates that was seen 12 months ago.  In terms of numbers, Lancashire are significantly higher than national and statistical neighbours however, they are a lot more stable and there is a lot of work being done on this and the new Family Safeguarding Service will also have an impact too.

 

The percentage of children looked after with an up-to-date statutory visit has been consistent at 94% and considering the current pandemic and the other difficulties faced, this figure is acceptable and proves that most children are being visited even in these circumstances.

 

The children looked after reviews during the previous 12 months that were in time was 99.4% and the repeats trajectory over the last 12 months, is showing a decrease which is also good, alongside those young people who had had three or more placements, rates are also decreasing.

 

Health assessments have proved difficult throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and has slightly increased over the last 3-4 months and a lot of work is being doing to ensure children and young people are seen by health practitioners and that they have an up-to-date health assessment.  In contrast, the dental health checks are quite poor with only 63.5% of them currently have a dental check-up up-to-date.  This will have been impacted by lockdown as well and information states that this is more of a recording issue, more than an issue whereby children are not being seen by the Dentist.

 

93% of care leavers are in suitable accommodation (18-20 year olds) and the other 7% are broken down as follows:

 

10 are not in suitable accommodation – homeless or no fixed abode

15 are in custody

5 in other accommodation

2 in bed and breakfasts

1 in emergency accommodation

 

Therefore in total 33 children at the time of reporting were in unsuitable accommodation and 595 were in accommodation deemed as suitable.

 

There were 47% of care leavers in Education, Employment and Training (EET – 18-20 year olds) and young people who are Not in Education, Employment and Training were as follows:

 

68 due to illness or disability

218 other circumstances

48 pregnancy or parenting

 

91% of care leavers have been contacted by the Care Leaving Service in the last two months (18-20 year olds).

 

The data presented to the Corporate Parenting Board will be further developed through the Education, Employment and Training Strategy Action Plan as discussed in the previous item.

 

Resolved:  That the Board noted the October 2020 performance report.

 

 

Report author: Umer Khonat

Date of decision: 24/11/2020

Decided at meeting: 24/11/2020 - Corporate Parenting Board

Accompanying Documents: