Agenda and minutes
Venue: Committee Room 'C' - The Duke of Lancaster Room, County Hall, Preston. View directions
Contact: Chris Mather Tel: 01772 533559, Email: email@example.com
Note: This meeting will commence at 3.00pm or on the rising of the Cabinet which ever is the later
County Councillors D Clifford, A Schofield and C Wakeford replaced County Councillors S Serridge, A Atkinson and D O'Toole respectively.
The Committee is asked to confirm the Minutes of the meeting held on 29 April 2014 as a true and correct record.
The Committee received the minutes of the meeting held on 29 April 2014.
Resolved: That the minutes of the meeting held on 29 April 2014 be confirmed as a true and correct record and be signed by the Chair.
Disclosure of Pecuniary and Non-Interests
Members are asked to consider any Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary Interests they may have to disclose to the meeting in relation to matters under consideration on the Agenda.
The Committee considered a report on the new employee structure for Lancashire County Council which had been agreed by the Cabinet earlier in the day.
It was reported that the Cabinet had agreed to request the Urgency Committee to agree a number of recommendations in relation to:
· The role of the Employment Committee in making appointments to specific senior officer posts. This would be for the purposes of the transformation process only and subject to statutory requirements;
· Other appointments being delegated to the Head of the Paid Service
· The principles for making appointments to posts;
· The role of the Employment Committee in future appointments to senior officer posts;
· The terms and conditions of appointments to all grades including the Chief Executive;
· A chief officer car leasing scheme; and
· An Appeals Procedure.
The Cabinet's recommendations, as set out in the report, were discussed in detail. Clarification on the designation and/orof the statutory Director of Children's Services and Director of Adult Services roles was given and it was
(1) That, for the purposes of the Transformation process only, and subject to statutory requirements, the Employment Committee be responsible for appointments to the posts of:
(a) Corporate Director Commissioning and Deputy Chief Executive;
(b) Corporate Director of Operations and Delivery (where the postholder holds an appropriate qualification the post will also be designated as the statutory Director of Children's Services or Director of Adult Services role);
(c) Dependent upon whether the postholder appointed at (b) is also designated as one of the statutory roles, the Director of Children's Services and/or Director of Adult Services;
(d) Director of Development and Corporate Services;
(e) Subject to applications being received from staff holding an appropriate professional qualification allowing them to also be appointed as the Council's Monitoring Officer or S.151 Officer, the Director of Governance, Finance and Public Services; and
(f) Subject to the appointment of the Monitoring Officer or S.151 Officer at (e) above, the Director of Financial Resources and/or the Director of Legal and Democratic Services, the successful applicant being appointed as the Monitoring Officer or S.151 Officer.
(2) That all other appointments be delegated to the Head of the Paid Service.
(3) That all appointments be made in accordance with the principles approved by Cabinet on 9 October 2014 and that the role of the Employment Committee in future appointments to senior posts then be reviewed.
(4) That all appointments to the Council's structure at all grades, including Director grades and above, be made on the basis of Lancashire County Council Terms and Conditions of Employment, and that this principle also be applied to the Chief Executive on the basis set out in the report.
(5) That a Chief Officer Car Leasing Scheme be implemented based on the same entitlements/costs as at present, the details of the Scheme to be finalised and approved by the Chief Executive.
(6) That the Appeals Procedure, as set out at Appendix 'C', be approved.
An item of urgent business may only be considered under this heading where, by reason of special circumstances to be recorded in the Minutes, the Chair of the meeting is of the opinion that the item should be considered at the meeting as a matter of urgency. Wherever possible, the Chief Executive should be given advance warning of any Member’s intention to raise a matter under this heading.