Agenda and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 'D' - The Henry Bolingbroke Room, County Hall, Preston. View directions

Contact: Holly Tween  Tel: 01772 537955 Email:  holly.tween@lancashire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made by all in attendance.

 

Apologies had been received from Mark Allanson. Chris Hebblethwaite was attending in place of Sharon Riding.

2.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

Amanda Melton and Bev Robinson declared an interest in the ESF item as their organisations were involved in the consortiums delivering the ESF activity.

3.

Minutes of the meeting held on 29 November 2017 pdf icon PDF 107 KB

Minutes:

Resolved: that the minutes of the meeting on 29 November 2017 are confirmed as an accurate record and signed by the Chair.

4.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

It was noted that the next BBL School Improvement Board was scheduled for May, and that Michele would be attending.

5.

Lancashire Labour Market Intelligence Toolkit pdf icon PDF 71 KB

Cassie Holden from Ekosgen will attend to present this item

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Cassie Houlden from Ekosgen was welcomed to the meeting, and gave a presentation on the refresh of the evidence base and the Local Labour Market Information (LMI) Toolkit.

 

In considering the presentation the Committee discussed a number of points including progress made since 2015, the differences in the working population, qualification levels, employment levels, jobs growth, skills gaps and economic forecasts.

 

The Committee also considered the LMI factsheets, Travel to Work Area Reports and the data matrix (previously circulated) which would be available to partners on the Skills Hub website. This would be launched on 27 April at the Lancashire Enterprise Adviser Network celebration and development event, and there would be a number of events which would help publicise this resource.

 

Cassie was thanked for her presentation.

 

Resolved:

 

1.  That the PowerPoint presentation be circulated to Committee members

 

2.  That a link to the information on the Skills Hub website be circulated to Committee members once live

6.

Lancashire Skills & Employment Hub update pdf icon PDF 405 KB

Minutes:

Michele Lawty-Jones presented the update report on the Lancashire Skills Hub's activities, and highlighted the following:

 

The Lancashire Enterprise Adviser Network had grown to 120 schools and colleges, and a celebration had been held when the 100th school was signed up.  A draft implementation plan had been published by the Careers and Enterprise Company in March, which included a plan to pilot 'Career Hubs', which would add value to the current network. The Skills Hub were developing a bid for a pilot Careers Hub in Lancashire, and the final bid was due in May.  Michele asked that members support a proposal for a hub which would span areas of most need – the Blackpool Opportunity Area, Burnley and Pendle.

 

A Priority 3 Delivery Group had been established in the Blackpool Opportunity Area and had met several times. It was noted that all 13 secondary schools and colleges in Blackpool were engaged in the Lancashire Enterprise Adviser Network and that so far pupils had received over 9000 employer encounters.

 

The DWP appraisals of the two stage 2 project submissions against Investment Priority 2.2 had been reviewed by the ESIF Committee in January, and the projects would proceed to contract in the near future.

 

Seven launch events for the Escalate online tool had been held across Lancashire, with over 450 people attending. A number of referrals had already been received by partners as a result.

 

Interviews had taken place for the Technical Education Project Manager post, supported by the Gatsby Foundation. In agreement with the Gatsby Foundation, the Skills Hub were in discussion with HR to suggest the post could be filled by a part time manager and a graduate.

 

Resolved:

 

1.  That the update be noted

 

2.  That members support the evolving Careers Hub proposal, spanning the Blackpool Opportunity Area, Burnley and Pendle

7.

Apprenticeship Update

Lisa Moizer will provide a verbal update

Minutes:

Lisa Moizer highlighted three key areas of activity regarding the Apprenticeship Growth strategy:

 

1. The Skills Hub had been given access to the datacube. The Learning and Work Institute (funded by ESFA) were providing support by analysing this data, alongside using the £5,000 that Lancashire have been awarded by the ESFA to purchase Bluesheep data.  

 

The Board requested that data be split by levy and non-levy payers and by sectors.

 

2.  The Learning and Work Institute were also providing training for local Intermediaries who work with businesses, e.g. JCP staff supporting employers to recruit, the BOOST support team, Local Authority Economic Development staff. The Skills Hub had organised the training to take place at the Globe and was at capacity (35). The aim of the training was to enable these intermediaries to confidently sell the benefits of utilising apprenticeships to recruit staff and meet L&D needs, ensuring that messages of quality and keeping on apprenticeships following completion of their training were embedded in the discussion. It is also part of the training that intermediaries can confidently refer interested employers to the local Apprenticeship Provider base, and Raeleen Duthoit would be inputting at the training to ensure this.

 

3.  Lisa attended the Lancashire Forum Executive group meeting on 14 March where she presented the latest apprenticeship figures and discussed how the Forum could be supported to grow apprenticeships in Lancashire. As a result, an activity plan to support providers was formulated and funding from the ESF Capacity Building Plan has been allocated to enable activities such as CPD training to develop the skills and knowledge of the employer engagement staff and sharing of best practice.

 

Resolved:

 

1.  That the update be noted

 

2.  That the data from the datacube be split by levy and non-levy payers and by sectors

8.

Lancashire Digital Skills Partnership pdf icon PDF 451 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Lisa Moizer presented the update report on the Digital Skills Partnership.

 

The Skills Hub had been developing a relationship with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) and were working with the Department to help develop local Digital Skills Partnerships (LDSP). Lancashire would be the first area nationally to launch a LDSP which would take place at the Digital Skills Summit on 18 April 2018.

 

It was further noted that the DCMS have a limited amount of funding that could support a Digital Skills Coordinator post in Lancashire for one year, if a business case from Lancashire was accepted.

 

Resolved: that the Skills Hub be approved to progress the proposal for a DCMS funded Digital Skills Coordinator Post

9.

ESF/ESFA Projects - Performance Report

(Not for publication – exempt information as defined in paragraph 41 (Information provided in confidence relating to contracts) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  It is considered that in all the circumstances of the case the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information).

Minutes:

At this point the Committee approved that the meeting move into Part II, Private and Confidential, to consider the items which contained exempt information provided in confidence as defined in the Freedom of Information Act 2000. It was considered that in all circumstances of the case the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighed the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

Janet Jackson and Sarah Gaskell, Strategic Partnership Managers, joined the meeting. Along with Tracy Heyes, they provided an update on the performance of each of the ESF ESFA Opt In projects against their profiles.

 

It was noted that Skills Hub officers were meeting with Preston's College to discuss performance management processes and planning project profiles which would inform recommendations to the ESFA in regard to project extensions. It was suggested that representatives from Preston's College could be invited to the June meeting to discuss.

 

The Committee discussed a matter affecting the extension of the Skills Support for the Workforce project after July, and agreed that the matter be raised with the ESIF Committee the next week. The ESFA has been asked to formulate options to address the potential gap in activity. Michele would provide an update on progress with the ESFA within the next week.

 

Resolved:

 

1.  That officers from Preston's College be invited to the next meeting to discuss the ESFA projects

 

2.  That Michele update the committee on discussions with the ESFA regarding options within the next week

10.

ESF/ESFA Projects - Capacity Building/Engagement Activity Plan

(Not for publication – exempt information as defined in paragraph 41 (Information provided in confidence relating to contracts) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.  It is considered that in all the circumstances of the case the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information).

Minutes:

Tracey Heyes presented an update on the Capacity Building/Engagement Activity Plan ESF/ESFA projects.

 

Resolved:

 

1.  That the progress made against the plan to date be noted

 

2.  That the changes to the Capacity Building/Engagement Activity Plan be approved as set out in the report

 

The meeting then returned to Part I of the agenda (items publicly available)

11.

Reporting to the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership

  Identification and agreement of any recommendations for consideration/approval by the LEP Board.

 

  Identification and agreement of issues for inclusion in the feedback report for the LEP Board.

 

Minutes:

None.

12.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

It was noted that the private sector vacancies on the Committee would be advertised shortly.

 

As it was Lisa's final meeting before maternity leave, the Committee thanked her for her work to date and wished her all the best.

13.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting is scheduled for 8.00am, Wednesday 06 June 2018, in Committee Room D, County Hall, Preston

Minutes:

The next meeting was scheduled for 8.00am on Wednesday 06 June 2018 in Committee Room D, County Hall, Preston