The county council comprises 84 councillors who all meet in full council at least six times a year. All meetings are broadcast live on our website as part of our policy of bringing decision-making closer to the public.
The main role of the full council is:
- to appoint the Leader
- to approve the constitution and any amendments to it;
- to determine policies that set the framework in which the county council carries out its functions; and
- to set the county council's budget and Council Tax levels.
Within the budgetary and policy frameworks set by the Full Council, the Cabinet is responsible for carrying out almost all of the Council’s functions in delivering services to the community; mainly Children and Young People Services, Adult and Community Services, Highways and Transportation, Planning and the Environment, and Public Protection.
The Cabinet meets generally once a month, and can hold such other meetings as the Leader may consider necessary.
All meetings of the Cabinet are broadcast live on our website as part of our policy of bringing decision-making closer to the public.
The Cabinet can establish Committees, Working Groups or Panels – see below.
Executive (Cabinet - Former Committees and Working Groups)
THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES/WORKING GROUPS HAVE BEEN DISESTABLISHED.
The committees/working groups did not take decisions and access to agenda/minutes were restricted to members of the working group
Cabinet Working Groups
Cabinet Working Groups
The following working groups have been established to assist the Cabinet. They cannot take any decisions and access to agenda/minutes may be restricted to members of the working group.
Overview & Scrutiny
The County Council has established five Overview and Scrutiny Committees. Their role is not decision-making. The Committees work to deliver local public sector accountability. They are able to require the Council's decision-makers, as well as those of its key partners, to account for their decisions and actions.
The Committees are also a key mechanism for reviewing Council policies and services, as well as services delivered by other organisations in Lancashire.
All meetings are broadcast live on our website as part of our policy of bringing decision-making closer to the public.
- Children's Services Scrutiny Committee
- Education Scrutiny Committee
- Executive Scrutiny Committee
- Health Scrutiny Committee
- Scrutiny Committee
Other Council Committees
By law, some important Council functions cannot be undertaken by the Cabinet, and some of these functions are exercised by the following Committees:
- Audit and Governance Committee
- Conduct Committee
- Corporate Complaints Committee
- Development Control Committee
- Employment Committee
- Lancashire Health and Wellbeing Board
- Lancashire Local Pension Board
- Pension Fund Appointments Sub-Committee
- Pension Fund Committee
- Regulatory Committee
- Student Support Appeals Committee
- Urgency Committee of the Full Council
The following Joint Committees have been set up with District Councils to carry out responsibilities that have been delegated to them:
Three Tier Forums
The Forums are joint business meetings of County, District, and Town and Parish Councillors, open to the public.
- Burnley Three Tier Forum
- Hyndburn Three Tier Forum
- Lancaster Three Tier Forum
- Pendle Three Tier Forum
- Preston Three Tier Forum
- Rossendale Three Tier Forum
- West Lancashire Three Tier Forum
Former Committees, Joint Committees and Forums
THE FOLLOWING COMMITTEES AND JOINT COMMITTEES HAVE BEEN DISESTABLISHED
- Chorley Three Tier Forum
- Commons and Town Greens Special Sub-Committee for VG105
- Commons and Town Greens Sub-Committee
- Joint Lancashire Health Scrutiny Committee
- Pension Fund Administration Sub-Committee
- Shadow Health and Wellbeing Board
The County Council provides support to the following bodies. They are not Council Committees
· Rivington and Brinscall Local Advisory Group (administrative support is no longer provided by the County Council)
· West Pennine Moors Area Management Committee (administrative support is no longer provided by the County Council)
- Central Lancashire Strategic Planning Joint Advisory Committee
- Lancashire Enterprise Partnership Limited Board
- LEP - Business Support Management Board
- LEP - Enterprise Zone Governance Committee
- LEP - Growth Deal Management Board
- LEP - Lancashire Skills and Employment Board
- LEP - Performance Committee
- LEP - Transport for Lancashire Committee
- Preston, South Ribble and Lancashire City Deal Stewardship Board and Executive - Combined Meeting