Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Exchange Room 2 - The Exchange - County Hall, Preston. View directions

Contact: Heather Gittins  Tel: 01772 533428 Email:  heather.gittins@lancashire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting noting that it was both Ann Dean and his first Performance Committee meeting.

 

There were no apologies received.

2.

Declaration of Interests

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were made in relation to items on the agenda.

3.

Minutes of the meeting held on 20th September 2017 pdf icon PDF 82 KB

Minutes:

Resolved: That minutes of the meeting held on 20 September 2018 are confirmed as an accurate record and signed by the Chair.

4.

Matters Arising

Minutes:

Kathryn Molloy (Head of Service LEP Coordination) provided the Committee with the following updates:

 

  i.  The Business plan had now been approved,

  ii.  That Rachel McQueen has now been appointed as the new Chief Executive of Marketing Lancashire.

 

The Committee briefly discussed the LEP's attendance at MIPIN Cannes/UK and agreed that they will have a think about what they wish to do in the future. It was noted that the business dinner Jim held and MIPIN Cannes were very useful and that the North West would need to go together as one. It was mentioned that it would be good if there was something being launched around this time or any opportunities happening that they could take forward.

 

 

5.

Performance Committee - Terms of Reference pdf icon PDF 67 KB

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Following the appointment of the new Chair the Performance Committee revisited the Terms of Reference and noted them. 

 

In the past both the Chair and Kathryn have met with the various LEP Sub Committee Chairs to identify any risks.  The Committee agreed that this be done again. Both Kathryn and Liam will follow this up.

 

It was noted that currently it is hard to obtain a quick and easy view of the KPI'S. The Committee agreed that both Liam and Kathryn will look at using a RAG rating to ensure that you can obtain an overall view quickly.

 

The Committee recognised that Peter Rankin had not stood for re-election in May and it would therefore be necessary for the Lancashire Leaders to nominate a replacement Member to the LEP Performance Committee and that the District Leaders will need to nominate someone to replace Councillor Mullineaux on the LEP Board. Andy Milroy (Senior Democratic Services Officer) informed the Committee that he had contacted Lancashire Leaders and the District Leaders for a nominee.

 

The Committee requested an update on the LEP Board vacancies. Martin Kelly (Director of Economic Development) confirmed that recruitment for all three vacancies will begin this week.

 

Resolved:

 

i)  The Committee noted the Terms of Reference

ii)  The Committee considered and reviewed its key areas of activity.

iii)  That both Kathryn and Liam meet with various other LEP Sub committee chairs to identify any risks,

iv)  That both Kathryn and Liam explore using the RAG rating to show a quick overview of KPI's,

v)  That the recruitment for the three new LEP directors go out this week

6.

Any Other Business

Minutes:

There was no any other business.

7.

Date of Next Meeting

The next Committee meeting will be held on 9th October 2018 at 10:30am in Room CHG:08 - A Floor, County Hall, Preston

Minutes:

It was noted that the next meeting of the Performance Committee would be held on the 9th October 2018 at 10.30am in Room CHG:08 – A Floor, County Hall, Preston.

8.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

The Committee is asked to consider whether, under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, it considers that the public should be excluded from the meeting during consideration of the following items of business on the grounds that there would be a likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in the appropriate paragraph of Part I of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 as indicated against the heading to the item.

9.

Lancashire Enterprise Partnership Financial Outurn Position 2017-18 and Proposed Draft Operational Budget 2018-19

Minutes:

Kathryn talked through the report which set out the 2017/18 outturn position of the Lancashire Enterprise Partnership and the draft operational Budget for 2018/19. It was noted that the 2017 / 18 outturn reported an underspend which it is proposed is programmed to be carried forward and spent in the 2018 / 19 Budget.

 

The Committee received an update regarding where the variance had come from and highlighted the key areas of reduced expenditure / additional expenditure.

 

It was noted that the two new posts approved by the LEP will be advertised before summer and will be in place for a two year period. One post will focus on Economic Policy and communications and the other on Commercial and Business support.

 

It was noted that the Legal resource the LEP has had since April 2018 has been a great help and it is proposed that in the 2018/19 Budget that funding for this post be extended to March 2020. The post supports the delivery of The Growth Deal Programme, Growing Places Investment Fund and the development and delivery of the Salmesbury Aerospace Enterprise Zone.

 

The Committee discussed the on-going maintenance of the LEP's new website, the Lancashire investment website and in supporting the development and delivery of Lancashire's place marketing capacity through a more focussed attendance at MIPIM UK and MIPIN Cannes. It was noted that Marketing Lancashire will be developing the LEP and Lancashire's new web presence and day to day press releases and social media updates.  It was proposed that SKV will continue to work with on strategic messages. The Committee recognised that the LEP needs to be pushed on a National level going forward.

 

It was reported that the SKV Communications contract had been extended until October 2018 and will be reviewed in Aug/Sep 2018. Information will then be brought to the October Committee meeting for further discussion.

 

The Committee briefly discussed the study work that is being done into Preston Railway Station, the proposed development and the growth opportunities presented by HS2. It was requested the David Taylor be kept up to date on key framework regarding this.

 

The Committee will be kept informed on the initial scoping work around a potential City of Culture bid.

 

The Committee discussed the growing places investment fund and agreed it's timely to undertake an evaluation of the Fund to ensure its current operating principles are still relevant to the current commercial marketplace and identify a complementary focus to the proposed urban development fund.

 

It was suggested that a prospectus document be produced to present to the LEP Board indicating what they wish to invest in. It was agreed that both Kathryn and Liam will look to pull this information together. The Committee suggested it would also be useful to see what investments are available along with a list of opportunities so they can identify what fits well where.

 

Committee members were asked to email any ideas they have to Kathryn.

 

The Committee had a discussion regarding an Investment Committee  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Reporting to Lancashire Enterprise Partnership Board

For the Committee to record any items to be referred formally to the LEP Board for consideration.

Minutes:

It was noted that the Operational Budget will go forward to the LEP Board.

 

Officers were thanked for providing useful reports.

 

Resolved: That the draft operational budget will go forward to the next LEP Board meeting on the 26th June 2018.